Page 136 - John Anderson
P. 136

&KDSWHU7KH5DLOURDGV$UULYHLQ2UPRQG

In 1889 Henry Morrison Flagler acquired control of the St. Johns and
Halifax Railroad and it was converted into a standard gauge railway.
This became a part of Flagler's famous Florida East Coast Railroad,
which eventually reached Key West. While building the railroad, Utley
J. White had a home built in Ormond around the chimney of the
former Wilson's Colony House (southwest corner of today's Beach
Street and Tomoka Avenue).
White later sold the house to John G. Borden (of the famous canned
milk family), who came to Ormond to recover his health. When
Charles McNary and his son, Burton, were putting in the pipes for a
water system for Borden they dug up three Indian skeletons and
artifacts on the property.
After the railroad was sold to Flagler, Utley J. White invested in a
26,000 acre tract of land at Hastings, and began developing it into an
agricultural center. Later, he was owner of thirty-two thousand acres
of land in the Haw Creek area which he developed into a small
lumber empire.

                                              124
   131   132   133   134   135   136   137   138   139   140   141